The Fallacy of Being Human at a Wedding

Okay, my blog title on this one is so depressing, but I wanted to get your attention! I am a wedding photographer. It’s kind of my thang. But, I am also human. Right? I mean, I would hope so, since like, I breathe, and drink too much coffee to be a robot.

Now, that being said, weddings are hard. Like, super hard. At any given moment during a wedding, I am juggling so many hats. Yes, I am there to take photos, but I also am organizing set ups, giving advice, wrangling drunk groomsmen and bridesmaids, diffusing family tensions, helping fix bouquets, pinning boutonnieres, tying up busted bustles, handing out headache meds, thinking quickly on my feet if our location is a bust, and telling dad jokes. These are just some of the day to day things I do behind the scenes at weddings. While some of it is part of my job description, a lot of it is above and beyond what my duties should be. I don’t mind. I like helping. It’s what I do. I fix oversights, the little things you don’t think of.

Buuuuuut, I am also human myself. Sometimes, things happen that I do not expect. Sometimes you forget things, things you could have sworn you packed in your bag the night before. And when these things happen, you have to fix them. Sometimes these oversights go unnoticed. And that’s always grand. You’ve avoided the drama. Yay you! Other times, you have to bite the bullet and admit to your mistake. That happened to me over the summer. I accidently left my memory cards on my desk. I drove 45 minutes to my wedding, put all my gear together and realized, holy crap Batman, you screwed up. I quickly told the bride, ran to the nearest Rite Aid, grabbed over-priced memory cards and made it back in time to get her into her dress, and on the way to the wedding. I made the time up at the end of the wedding, plus some, because I was hating myself for being so forgetful.

Her images turned out beautiful and the day was saved. I have since set a fool proof plan into place so as not to have this happen again, or to forget any piece of equipment. So, while it was a heart attack moment of panic for me at the time, it has caused me to double think my wedding prep day of. So, I guess this blog post is to remind you, if you do something stupid, it’s okay, you’re only human. Learn from it, make it up as best you can, and DON’T DO IT AGAIN! Let my mess up prevent yours. Also, in the heat of the moment it may seem like you’ve ruined it (whatever it is), but in all truth, it’s all okay.

Oh, and here are some beautiful images from the wedding! Cause, well, we all love pretty images, right?

1. Liz Miller

January 2nd, 2018 at 6:07 pm

These are beautiful ❤️❤️ Your amazing!

2. Sacia

January 2nd, 2018 at 6:09 pm

Wow, this is a BEAUTIFUL wedding. You are only human and things happen! These images are stunning and I’m sure this couple is thankful you were able to capture these precious moments 😍.

3. Linsey

January 2nd, 2018 at 6:14 pm

Stunning! Beautiful wedding!

4. Kendra

January 2nd, 2018 at 6:18 pm

Beautiful photos! Accidents totally happen but at least you were able to fix the mistake and capture these stunning images.

5. Tabby

January 2nd, 2018 at 6:19 pm

These images are perfection! You captured the bride and venue beautifully! I’m sure she is beyond thrilled! As far as the mess-ups…ehhh things happen. You live, you learn, your grow!

6. Love Gwaltney

January 2nd, 2018 at 6:23 pm

Thanks Tabby! Yes, that is how I feel. Everyone has moments where they make mistakes. I’m just so happy how well the images did turn out.

7. Alexandra

January 2nd, 2018 at 6:32 pm

Omg what a beautiful wedding, bride, and photos!! We’re all human but at the end of the day you did your job and killed it.

8. Jill

January 2nd, 2018 at 7:05 pm

We are all human— it’s how you rally that matters. And rally you did. These are stunning! What a beautiful bride!

9. Shay

January 2nd, 2018 at 7:25 pm

These are absolutely MAGICAL ! Glorious! I am in love with the realness of these! The smiles the laughter and everything in between! You really managed to capture this day so beautifully!

10. Kirsten

January 2nd, 2018 at 8:03 pm

Oh my gosh these are gorgeous! I’ve had memory cards forgotten, equipment break, etc. and can agree…it’s the worst feeling in the world. Glad you were still able to do an amazing job though!

11. Melissa

January 2nd, 2018 at 9:27 pm

Gorgeous! You are so talented! You captured beauty at its fineast!

12. Lyndsay

January 2nd, 2018 at 9:37 pm

Beautiful images! And you are correct, we all make mistakes. Every photographer has forgotten something at one time or another. Kudos to you for making quick work of fixing it! The bride looks stunning & looks like she had a fun time with her bridal party.

13. Sarah

January 2nd, 2018 at 9:42 pm

These are absolutely amazing images!! I’ve forgotten memory cards, my camera battery, and flashes. We all make mistakes, and it is human to make mistakes. These images are amazing, and this couple has some amazing photos capturing their special day.

14. Sarah

January 2nd, 2018 at 9:45 pm

Meh. That stuff happens to everyone now and then. Things HAPPEN. We are all human. All of us. Anywho- these are gorgeous! That brides dress. Omg! And is that the Browns stadium!? Very cool! What a gorgeous venue for the wedding and reception too!

15. Elisha

January 2nd, 2018 at 10:53 pm

Omg I love love love these! The smiles are so genuine and I know how
    Hard that is with a group of adults even more
    so at a wedding when everyone wants to be done with the pics and get to the party!
    I totally get being human sometimes we feel like we need to be superhero’s and others forgot that we aren’t and expect us to make the unmakabke happen, but I wish I had images like this of my own wedding! Good job Hun! Deffintally will be sending referrals your way!

16. Beth

January 3rd, 2018 at 12:10 am

Beautiful captures and what a gorgeous wedding party!

17. Jesi

January 3rd, 2018 at 12:32 am

Mistakes happen to everyone. It is big of you to realize it, admit it, make it right, then give more of yourself for the trouble!

It was a lovely day after all and I hope the bride and groom realize the extra effort you put into making their day special!

18. Nicol

January 3rd, 2018 at 12:59 am

These are amazing! Doesn’t look like you missed a beat! I’d probably be a headcase if I forgot something.

19. Maddie Arnold

January 3rd, 2018 at 2:07 am

Wow… what a gorgeous bride 😍 I love the energy in the pictures and I can only imagine how happy the couple must be looking back on these images. You’re right, you’re only human. But you’re also a d*** good photographer! Cheers

20. Te

January 3rd, 2018 at 2:08 am

Gorgeous photos Love. Good thinking on the card purchase. Looks like it didn’t phase you any when it comes to the rest of the day.

21. Sara

January 3rd, 2018 at 4:29 am

What a beautiful wedding ! You captured all the major moments , such great shots ! These are awesome real moments ! I’m sure they will love ❤️ looking at these 1, and 10 years from now and feel it all over again ! Wow 😳 just amazing

22. Vanja

January 3rd, 2018 at 10:02 am

These are so stunning ♥️ You’re truly talented and have captured their wedding day beautifully. I only wish my own wedding photos were even an ounce as gorgeous as these!

23. Amy

January 4th, 2018 at 10:43 am

These images are beautiful. It certainly sounds to me like you saved the day & made up for lost time as best you could! Your raw talent shows tthough these photos & I’m sure the couple will look back on these images & smile for years to come. 💙